Restore >> Library >> "This Hope" contents ..
THE BEAST REVEALED
Who is this beast spoken of in Revelation? The Bible gives us enough of its distinguishing characteristics that we may positively identify this power. From the similarities between the beast of Revelation and the little horn of Daniel it is apparent that they are the same.
1. The little horn power arises as the Roman Empire is fragmenting into ten different kingdoms. Dan. 7:7, 8, 23, 24.
Note: Between 376 and 476 A.D. the Roman Empire disintegrated as scores of barbarian tribes invaded dividing the empire up among ten main tribes. This is the time period from which the little horn/beast power must emerge.
2. The beast receives its power seat and great authority from the dragon. Rev. 13:1, 2.
Note: The dragon from which the beast gets its power, seat, and authority is a symbol of Satan working through his primary agent of that day, the pagan Roman Empire. So this beast must get its power and authority from the pagan Roman Empire; and it must arise in the city of Rome, the “seat” of the Roman Empire.
3. The little horn power is responsible for eliminating three of the other horns or kingdoms. Dan. 7:8, 24.
Note: This power must be responsible for the elimination of three of the ten main barbarian kingdoms that replaced the Roman Empire.
4. The little horn becomes greater than the remaining seven kingdoms. Dan. 7:8, 20.
5. The little horn is somehow different from the other seven kingdoms. Dan. 7:24.
6. The beast speaks great things and blasphemies. Rev. 13:5, 6, 8.
Note: In the Bible we find several definitions of blasphemy including:
7. The horn speaks great things against God Dan 7:8, 20, 25.
Note: Speaking against God is another form of blasphemy (2 Sam 12 14 2 Kgs 18 ?5 19 6).
8. The horn makes war with the saints and prevails. Dan 7:21, 25.
9. The beast makes war with the saints and overcomes them. Rev. 13:7.
Note: This power will successfully persecute those who are true to God.
10. The beast reigns for 42 months. Rev. 13:5.
11. The horn has the saints in its power for a time, times, and half a time. Dan 7:25.
Note: Both the 42 months and the time, times and half a time equal 1260 prophetic days which are 1260 literal years according to the principle found in Ezra 4:6.
A time, times & ½ time = 3 ½ years= 42 months = (42X30) 1260 days. This power must rule for 1,260 years.
12. The beast receives a deadly wound, but the wound is healed. Rev. 13:3.
13. After the wound is healed the world again wonders after the beast and worships it. Rev. 13:4.
14. The beast power is still a force in the world today and will participate in the events just prior to the second coming of Christ. Dan 7:11, 26; Rev 19:20.
15. The little horn thinks to change times and laws. Dan. 7:25.
Note: It is God's laws this power thinks to change since political powers change the laws governing their people at will.
There is only one power in all of history that fits all fifteen of these identifying marks. In 330 A.D. the Roman Emperor Constantine moved the capital from Rome to Constantinople leaving the bishop of the church in Rome almost on his own amid the invasion of barbarian tribes from the north. Three of these tribes were from a different branch of Christianity called Arianism They put a severe limitation on the church of Rome and its power. In 533 the Emperor Justinian declared the bishop of Rome “head of the church and corrector of heretics.” By 538 the emperors ruling in Constantinople, to secure the power of the Roman Bishop, had eliminated the three Arian tribes the Heruli, the Vandals, and thc Ostrogoths. Thus the Roman Catholic church inherited pagan Rome's seat and was given her authority and caused three horns to be plucked up.
With the conversion or submission of the remaining seven tribes she became greater than the other “horns” that inherited the power of Rome.
As a religious and political power she is “different” from the other horns that arose at that time.
This power commits blasphemy by:
This power has made war with the saints and overcome them. It is estimated that 50-100 million people were put to death for "heresy" by this power.
This power reigned from 538 until 1798 when the armies of France took the pope captive and declared his office and function ended. Rome was in power for exactly 1260 years when it received this “deadly wound.”
In 1929 the pope was granted full authority over the state of Vatican City and became a political power once again. The wound was starting to heal.
In the Protestant world there has been a change of attitude from active hostility to open acceptance of this power, from the extreme of bigotry to the extreme of denial of history. There is now a trend toward reunion with Rome and a rejection of the foundations of what it means to be a Protestant. Today the pope may be the most respected man alive. The “wound” is well on its way to being fully “healed” and the “world” is beginning to “wonder after the beast.”
This power has thought to change God's times and laws, It has removed the second commandment against idolatry and split the tenth commandment into two parts to preserve the number. It claims. “The pope can modify divine law, since his power is not of man. but of God.” Prompta Bibliotheca, Venice: Caspa Storti, 1772. It has also taken the seventh day Sabbath of the Ten Commandments, and replaced it with its own day, Sunday. It claims that, “The church has changed the Sabbath into Sunday on its own authority.” Enchiridion of Commonplaces of John Eck Against Luther and Other Enemies of the Church. And "We observe Sunday instead of Saturday because the Catholic Church transferred the solemnity from Saturday to Sunday." -- Peter Geiermann, The Convert's Catechism of Catholic Doctrine.
Certainty of Salvation"
E-mail us at email@example.com
Copyright © 2002 Family Heritage Books used by permission by Project Restore, Inc. at www.projectrestore.com
Created: 11/13/02 Updated: 5/25/04